Friday, April 4, 2008

It's just math

I’d like to have a little fun with you. For some of you this might not be as much fun as it is for others. It is a mathematical problem which could be entitled “Restaurant Math.”

1. First of all, pick up the number of times a week that you would like to go
out to eat (more than once but less than 10).

2. Multiply the number by 2 (just to be bold).
3. Add 5
4. Multiply it by 50
5. If you’ve already had your birthday this year, add 1,758 . . . if you
haven’t, add 1,757.

6. Now subtract the four digit year that you were born.

You should have a three digit number. The first digit of this was your original number (how many times you want to go out to a restaurant in a week). The next two numbers are YOUR AGE – (Oh yes, it is!) This is the only year it will ever work, so spread it around while it lasts.

I have another mathematical suggestion that will add up to the kind of work that God wants to do in your life in 2008. How many times a week would you like to read the Bible (more than 5 but less than 10)? Reading the Bible will be nourishment to your soul, more than even the best restaurants in town. How are you doing on your Bible reading? Bible reading in and of itself is not the key, but connecting with God through his Word is. The theme for 2008, “Transformed by the renewing of your mind.” (Romans 12:2) Your soul will be transformed as you apply the Word of God to your life, all the while being spiritually nourished by the Holy Spirit.

As a Dad I am especially excited about this Sunday as my son Tyler, and his wife Rose, take the leadership role in our worship service. Our worship director, Shane, will be involved, and he has invited Tyler to be with us for this Sunday. It has worked out in his schedule and we will enjoy sharing Sunday morning with them. We will also be back in the Book of Acts. Don’t forget to read chapter 17, it will be the highlight of this message.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for writing in your blog. I read it more than I respond and I hope others are too. My family reads in the evenings together before bed. Although I enjoy this I think I should read alone as well. The kids sometimes need me to help them stay focused which takes away my focus! At any rate thank you for your dedication, God Bless, Jeff

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.