Friday, June 27, 2008

God's Word

I have another story for you told of Harry Cohn. For many years he was the head of Columbia Movie Studios. In the early days Harry’s brother came out from New York and was criticizing the way Harry did things. They got into a heated argument. Harry said, “I bet you don’t even know The Lord’s Prayer.” His brother replied, “What’s that got to do with anything?” Harry again said, “I just bet you don’t’ know The Lord’s Prayer.” His brother confidently said, “Well of course I do! Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake. I pray the Lord my soul to take.” Reluctantly, Harry said, “Oh well, I apologize. I didn’t really think you knew it.” Many times we think we know what’s in the Bible, and yet it is impossible to really know the marvelous truth of God’s Word without reading it. Again, I challenge you to commit yourself to reading the Word of God on a daily basis.

Right now we are reading in the Book of Hebrews. Today I read this marvelous statement, “For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.” (Hebrews 4:12) Now listen to what the Life Application Bible says about that marvelous verse: “The Word of God is not simply a collection of words from God, a vehicle for communicating ideas; it is living, life-changing, and dynamic as it works in us. With the incisiveness of a surgeon’s knife, God’s Word reveals who we are and what we are not. It penetrates the core of our moral and spiritual life. It discerns what is within us, both good and evil. The demands of God’s Word require decisions. We must not only listen to the Word; we must also let it shape our lives.” Our theme 2008 is found in Romans 12:2, “Be transformed by the renewing of your mind.” How’s God’s Word renewing your mind?

Our entry into our new facility begins soon with Wednesday night for a special gathering of study and prayer held there on July 9th and our first workday on Saturday, July 12th. You will hear more about it in church. These are exciting days to be a part of our fellowship.

No comments: