Friday, November 14, 2008

We Worship

Let me begin with something I read this week about worship:

You can no more command someone to worship God than you can command someone to appreciate other pieces of beauty. Can you imagine saying to a grandmother, “Now listen: In just a minute I am going to take you into the nursery to show you your new grandson for the first time. When you see him, you want to get tears in your eyes, draw a sharp breath, and then say, ‘Oh my, he is beautiful!’ Ok? You ready?” No, no. Life doesn’t work that way, and neither, therefore, does the worship of God. A person needs to see and understand God and God’s work first – worship is the response that naturally follows.

Are you ready for our second “w” in this special series in November entitled “www.newharvest.now”? How high on the priority list is worship in your life? Would you call New Harvest a deeply worshipful church? What does worship mean to you? If you want to do a little reading ahead, open the Bible to Hebrews 12:18-29 and get ready for Sunday morning at New Harvest Church. This is an exciting time in the life of the church and I hope to see you.

Let me just say that I believe that this holiday season may be one of the best we have ever had as individuals and as a church. The challenges of the economy will help us reprioritize the kind of focus that God intends for us during these special holiday times like Thanksgiving and Christmas. I hope this will be one of the best holiday seasons for you because what really matters will rise to the top for you and me.

No comments: